Monday, January 4, 2010

Resolutions? Count me out!

I have decided there will be no New Year resolutions for me.

The idea that you can spend a full year screwing up only to wipe it all clean in one night doesn't make much sense to me... instead of being the incentive to start over I consider it an excuse wait a year before you decide to make changes. Why can't you do the same thing any day of the year? Why not have a Sunday resolution? Then you could have 52 chances to start over (oh wait... that's "confession").

I have a mile long ongoing list of things I would like to do "better"... "different"... "longer" (I'm workin' on it Kate!), but the reality of my life is that there will always be something that I need to put off in lieu of dealing with a more pressing issue, and I can either choose to accept the reality of it or spend a year beating myself up. There are more than enough things in life to feel bad about (plenty of good things too!), I'd rather feel good about my accomplishments than bad about my shortcomings.

I'm a bit more interested in what will happen with the rest of the world in the coming year... not the big stuff though (that'll happen with or without my help), I'm more interested in little stuff I might miss if (when) it disappears. For instance, I still haven't gotten over the fact that vinyl has virtually disappeared (you know... records?). Don't get me wrong I'm not some audiophile "vinyl was superior" snob... CD's have been far more convenient, but laying on my stomach with a pair of headphones on looking at a giant record sleeve WAS a superior experience.

Now it seems that CD's will probably disappear in the near future and I don't think I care much for the thought purchasing "information". I like something tangible to hold in my hand and appreciate... I like to feel like I've gotten something in return for parting with what little money I have. Digital information does not give me that same warm, fuzzy feeling and never will (and it makes a lousy rolling surface... so I hear). I will just never fall in love, or cherish a data file.

I also have a hard time understanding how something can still cost so much if a company no longer has to: print, package, deliver, etc., an actual product... "click and it's done" doesn't seem to be worth two thirds the cost of a tangible product... does it?

So any resolving I do in the coming year(s) will be on a daily basis and will most likely be in the form of not forgetting little things that have a track record of making me happy. I think I'll start by putting on my headphones and listening to a record.

Peace, Bryan

No comments:

Post a Comment