Wednesday, October 21, 2009

I need to be the hummingbird...

This is just a small part of what is wrong with the world (or maybe just my country)...

A few days ago my friend Julie Corbalis had a $4000 of her musical equipment stolen from her car while it was parked in a lot at Guitar Center on 48th Street. Now it bothers me anytime a friend has a run of bad luck, especially when it is someone that regularly goes out of their way to help others... but what bothers me more is the way agencies that are supposed to be in place to help you completely disregard their responsibility. Here's what happened next...

Apparently Guitar Center has cameras in place that survey their parking lot and even though the cameras have a pretty limited view of the lot, Julie was lucky enough to have her car parked were it was in clear view. Now here comes the fun part... Guitar Center wouldn't release or review the tape unless it is requested by the police, OK off to the local precinct to fill out a report... BUT the police won't review the tape because the car was moved (tampering with evidence). Through this all Julie's main thought is how lucky she is to have friends that posted a list of her missing equipment and offer her guitars so she wouldn't miss any gigs.

I consider myself lucky to have a friend that think like that and wish I could view the world in that way. But instead I am overwhelmed with disappointment because it seems obvious that Guitar Center has it's cameras in place to keep themselves from getting sued in the event someone slips and hurts themselves... and that the local police don't consider a person's most prized possessions (and livelihood) worth the few minutes it takes to look at a video tape. Their refusal to do do ANYTHING to help embarrasses me. Now pardon me while I kinda change the subject.

I heard a story the other day...

There was forest fire raging out of control that no one seemed able to extinguish... a hummingbird that was watching the firemen hard at work decided to go to a small puddle, fill it's beak, fly over the forest and drop the water. The hummingbird kept doing this until one of the firemen asked him "what the hell are you doing?" The hummingbird said "I'm doing what I can".

I want to be a hummingbird and do what I can to make the world a bit better... It might not be enough, but I'm gonna try.

Peace

2 comments:

  1. Hey Cuz...good work from one blogger to another. I will be a regular follower cuz I think you are a smart funny guys who makes lots of sense. I am sorry Julie had such a hard time from "law enforcement", which would imply that they are enforcing something....anything.... any guesses? Keep writing, if anything it helps to get all this stuff out. Love, Mary Ellard (hee, hee)

    http://maryellard.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mary! Getting it out is a big part of it.... as well as just trying sort out what's in my head.

    I'll be readin' ya!

    ReplyDelete