Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Soon it will be over (:-(>

A few months back, in an effort to quietly sit together with my wife and kids at night (if only for a half hour), I purchase the first season of the "Partridge Family" online... I wanted us to sit down and watch something that I thought would appeal to all of us (6-46yrs) and I had always had fond memories of the show, so I figured we could give it a try...

We are now coming to the end of season 3 and I am starting to worry that my "C'mon Get Happy" feeling will soon be replaced with an emptiness that will never be filled. Believe it or not "The Partridge Family" has become quite a tradition at our home and I think I speak for all of us when I say that we look forward to our half hour plopped on the couch (Reily sprawled across the end chair and Sammy (our dog) jammed somewhere in between me, Kate and Sullivan on the couch). Sometimes it's not as quiet as I had originally envisioned it... the Gordon's can't really sit through a T.V. show without making fun of something... Keith's girly walk... the fact that we haven't seen their dog (Simone) since the first episode... and oh that nutty Reuben!

Now if you are reading this blog odds are you know I have always been a fan of syrupy 70's music, and the Partridge Family is no exception. I used to watch the show religiously when I was a kid and I can safely say that I'm sure that in some twisted way it played a big part in my getting involved in music... but what I didn't realize when I was 7 years old was how good of a show it actually was. I think it's easy for people to lump it together with the "Brady Bunch" (a show which I NEVER liked), but short of them both being "families" I see very few similarities... to begin with, the fact that they were being raised by a single mother (widowed) was a huge break from norm of 50's and early 60's shows... and if you can look past the silly shit like the bus getting stuck in a ghost town, or them having to get dressed up in chicken suits, the problems they dealt with were far more true to life than the Bradys would dare to approach. For instance, in last night's episode Keith was failing sex education and Danny tried to help by lending him his copy of "Playpen" ("Playboy" knock off if you haven't already guessed)... no 11 year old Brady ever admitted to having a Playboy hidden in their room!

As I said when I started this rant (or is it ramble?), we are coming to the end of season 3 and soon I will be ordering season 4 (the final season) and I am starting to feel sad that it will be over, mostly because I will know that I have now seen ALL of the episodes (when it was on T.V. you always though that you must have missed a few)... I know we will find another show to keep the tradition going (we're already talking about the Monkees), but it just won't be the same.

Peace, Bryan

3 comments:

  1. i have 3's company on dvd when you're done with the monkees!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hated that show! Loved Don Knotts in Andy Griffth, but just couldn't get into him in that show... then again Reily might like Suzanne Sommers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the Partridge Family. I so wanted to be adopted. I have all the CDs and DVDs.

    ReplyDelete