Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Renewed energy and direction

I'm feeling pretty good today, for the first time in a couple of weeks...


I have been in semi-limbo for quite a while musically... always doing something, but never quite getting it off the ground. It's been frustrating, especially when I know that in the end I'm pretty much the only one responsable for my eractic pace. More often than not projects grind to a halt based on some outside force I've had little or no control over, but I'm responsable for it because in many cases the problems should have been predicted and I made concious choices ingore warning signs (insanity: doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting a different result).


With the passing of my friend and bandmate Eric Polozune in late November once again I lost out on an opportunity... as often as we discussed getting together and having him lay down organ tracks on some of my songs, we kept putting it off for one reason or another. Some of the reasons were valid... Eric had health issues and I had band issues to deal with that kept me in a funk. There is always something else that has to be done and you can always make a good excuse for not getting off your ass and doing the work... of course when the smoke clears you might find that you put something on the backburner one time too many times and your opportunity is gone for good.

Musicians need to be heard... why else would we put up with all the crap? What Eric added to my songs should have been heard... we should have gigged more... I wish we had gotten him recorded and he had the chance to hear himself on those songs. Since that won't be happening it seems to me the next best thing is to get his spirit into the mix... Luckily I have some live recordings of him playing so I've got a pretty good idea of what he MIGHT have played for a particular part. So with a newfound sense of urgency and a desire to not let another opportunity slip away I have been spending some long evenings in my studio working on a lot of unfinished recordings... and actually extremely happy with the results so far. I won't go into to it any further than that at this point because my projects tend to grind to a halt immediately after I announce my intentions to the world... so let's be clear, I ain't announcing nothin'... we're just talking here (;-)>

I guess at this point in my life the need to be heard is the only reason I still write and record songs. It's not like I'm looking for a record contract or anything like that, those days are long gone... but the thought that a song I wrote/recorded might be floating around years after I'm gone and someone might actually like it keeps me going.

So as the title of this post says I'm moving forward with "renewed energy and direction"... stay tuned to see if it works!

Peace, Bryan

No comments:

Post a Comment